Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Beginning

I decided to start this blog in hopes that it will be a way for me to stay connected to myself and my beliefs at all times during the process I'm looking to start. I also hope that it will be a way to show others what it means to me to believe in God and what its like to answer a call from God to join the priesthood, particularly what its like for a woman.


First a little background on myself. The Episcopal ministry is in my blood. I first started going to an Episcopal Church in the fourth grade. I was confirmed at the age of 16 and I’ve spent a large portion of my life deeply involved in the church, always seeking new ways to get involved and make an impact. I knew that as soon as I started giving sermons in the church I was going to be asked about ordination, but I deflected all comments with a laugh and a comment about my love of baking.

Now that I am older and there aren’t the same opportunities for me to be involved in the church, I miss being involved and making an impact. I went to college and became an RA because there was a void in my life that was no longer being filled by my involvement with the church. In my last semester of college I wasn’t an RA and that drove me back to church at the Cathedral near campus, again looking for a way to fill that void.

Don’t get me wrong, I truly loving baking things and sharing the love I put into what I make with others; however, the more I spend thinking and praying about my future the less I understand it and the more time I spend thinking about the church and being more involved in the church. At the same time I wonder if I’m being called further into the church, then why did I go to Culinary & Business School? What have I been doing for the last four years? Was that a waste of time and money? What if I decide that I want to start pursuing this path in the Church but when I graduate I still end up feeling like this isn’t where I belong either? Is that a leap of faith I just have to take? Shouldn’t I feel more trusting of God’s plans for me if the Church is really what He has planned?

It has taken me more weeks of praying and conversations with a priest at the church I was attending to learn that the void I sensed was a calling I'd been ignoring. Now I must work to follow that call to priesthood.

1 comment:

  1. Kassia, I love you. I think this is a really great thing that you are doing, and I love the name.

    I shall pray for you often and I wish you well. I know you're doing the right thing

    Love, love, love,
    Danielle
    (I haven't figured out how the heck to post as me yet, so it's gonna be anonymous until i do)

    ReplyDelete