Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Journey to E.Y.E. 2005

Over a period of two years in high school I became very involved in the church on the diocesan, provincial, and national levels. It was a life changing experience for me, that truly helped me to see my faith clearly.

In January of 2004 I was elected to be the youth representative on the vestry at my church. I spent a year serving in that position and learning about how the church works. I was able to give my opinion on what I saw happening and how I thought it would effect the youth of our church. Then in the summer of 2004 I journeyed to Towson University (my most recent alma matter actually, funny how God works sometimes) for a four day adventure called Youth Caucus 2004. There I met the priest in charge of all diocesan youth programs and events. I had a blast and made some new friends. In December of 2004 that same priest called wondering if I would like to go to a gathering of people in Baltimore who were to be trained as peer ministers (see my previous post "History of My Faith Part 3" to learn more about that experience). I agreed with no knowledge of where that would take me.

I was trained to become a peer minister with 20 other youth my age. It was a weekend affair and we had a blast learning and hanging out together. And so I left the event with even more new friends, and a slew of new opportunities. In January of 2005 I was again contacted; this time he was requesting my presence as a peer minister for a retreat at the end of that month. I agreed and spent the weekend making more friends and expanding my understanding of faith. In February I traveled to New York City with 60 or so youth as a part of Nightwatch. We spent the night in the National Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, wandered around NYC, and then spent another night in a smaller church in White Plains returning home on Sunday evening.

Two major events occurred in April of 2005. The first was I applied to be a Peer Minister at E.Y.E. (Episcopal Youth Event-a National Episcopal event held tri-annually for all the youth of high school age in the Episcopal Church). The second was my attendance at P.E.Y.E. (Provincial Episcopal Youth Event-a provincial event held tri-annually before E.Y.E. for all those who plan to attend E.Y.E.; it is a way for those going to E.Y.E. together to get to know each other before going basically) as a Peer Minister. The Province III event was held at Shenandoah University (beautiful place) over a weekend. We spent the weekend conversing about our faith and doing activities with one another to grow together as a family in Christ before E.Y.E. I left with even more friends from even different places and an amazing feeling that I had family all across Province III who would support me and pray for me.

In May of 2005 I went to the Diocese of Maryland Convention as a delegate. Just before I went I received a letter in the mail informing me that I had been chosen to be a Peer Minister at E.Y.E. in Kentucky. Convention was an amazing experience, because as we all sat in the room for the two days of convention I hear many opinions; and at times my heart was lifted as a youth would step up to the microphone and tell all the adults int eh room their opinion about something. The adults not only listened to what was said they were moved and motivated by what the youth had to say. By being a youth delegate for my region, I was also able to serve as a youth representative on my Regional Council. The regional council is a lot like a vestry, but the meetings were faster and focused on a wider range of things. They focused on the churches in my region, their needs-how to fulfill them-and how they could have an impact in the community and the world.

On the morning of July 23, 2005 I went to Washington Dulles Airport, boarded one of two planes that would eventually take me to Kentucky. After arriving in Kentucky I boarded a bus to Berea, where I joined about 60 other people for the start of Pre-E.Y.E. 2005. I met the peer ministers who became my family, the design team, and the music team. For the next three days we prepared for the arrival of the participants of E.Y.E. 2005. I spent nine days in Berea, and the people that I met there I am still in touch with to this day (almost 5 years later!), and I have friends spread out across the country. When you are given the opportunity to see 1500 screaming, dancing, young people and their sponsors all in the same room, celebrating Christ, you are forever changed as a person. It was astounding. The enthusiasm of all 50-something Bishops who participated (as well as the Presiding Bishop) as well as the sponsors for all the youth was extraordinary. E.Y.E. was an event I will continue to remember for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment