Saturday, October 1, 2011

Internship Week of September 25th

So I've been at my internship parish for over about two weeks now, and here is my experience from last week.


I attended Adult Forum for the first time on Sunday morning following the 8am service. It was an extremely enjoyable experience. We were discussing the history of the church as a whole, its part of a four-week series that concludes next Sunday. Everyone was very welcoming to me, and it was fascinating to watch the dynamics play out between the rector and the parishioners who were in attendance. It was a fairly decent sized crowd of about 15 or so, and everyone had a great time discussing what the rector was teaching us.
I also attended the bi-monthly meeting of the Stephen’s ministers on Tuesday evening. I was most looking forward to this, as it was my first foray into the world of pastoral care. They explained things as we went along if I didn’t understand what was happening, and encouraged my participation. I really learned a lot from the meeting. These men and women dedicate time every week to go and visit with their care receivers and they get so much back in return. I think the Stephen’s Ministry is a really neat concept. The process they have for meeting and confidentially discussing their care receivers in a way that doesn’t violate confidentiality but allows them to get feedback and advice is fantastic. They are doing such important work, I really admire them all and can’t wait to learn more about pastoral care.

No comments:

Post a Comment